The St. Louis heat arrived before the summer of 2022 officially arrived. Our region has experienced multiple days of temperatures above 90, 95 and close to 100 degrees. The sun has been searing and the humidity sweltering. Here are a few pointers to survive the hottest days of summer.
*Drink plenty of water.
*Avoid long periods outdoors in the searing heat, especially during the hottest periods of the day.
*When outdoors avoid wearing darks colors, wear loose fitting, light-colored clothes that reflect the sun.
*When outdoors use sunscreen.
*When outdoors wear a hat to protect you from the sun.
*Perform outdoor chores or task doing the coolest part of the day, early morning.
Additionally, we suggest on the hottest days of summer, you find “cool” activities that are indoors. Here are eight (8) indoor activities that St. Louis caregivers and seniors should consider that are cool in more ways than one.
- St Louis Art Museum-At this time there are several current exhibits, including Impressionism and Beyond, Memory Painting, and Catching the Moment at the museum. https://www.slam.org/
- Missouri History Museum-The current exhibits are St. Louis Sound, Painting Creole St. Louis, Gateway to Pride, #1 in Civil Rights Virtual, and 1904 World’s Fair. https://mohistory.org/museum
- The Kemper Museum is located on the campus of Washington University. The current exhibits include Nicole Miller: A Sound, a Signal, the Circus; Nine Ways from Sunday; Chitra Ganesh: Dreaming in Multiverse; and (Un)masking Health. https://www.kemperartmuseum.wustl.edu/exhibitions
- Contemporary Art Museum of St. Louis is located in “midtown”, close to the St. Louis University campus and The Sheldon. There are several exhibits showing in July. They include Gala Porras-Kim, Martine Gutierrez, Alia Farid, Collective Impact, and ArtReach. https://camstl.org/programs/public/
- The Fabulous Fox Theatre- July and August shows include RuPaul’s Drag Race, Tedeschi Trucks Band, and Bonnie Raitt. https://www.fabulousfox.com/events
- Kirkwood Performing Arts Center (KPAC) opened during the last several months. It is contemporary and beautiful. Currently The play “The Heights” is being offered the rest of July. https://www.kirkwoodmo.org/recreation/arts-and-music/performing-arts-center
- The Sheldon is located around the corner from the Fabulous Fox Theater. In July the concert, The Sinatra Experience will be presented at the venue. Also, the galleries are offering the unique “Golf the Gallery” experience. A combination of art, design and an indoor 9-hole mini-golf course. https://www.thesheldon.org/
- Take in a Movie-There are a variety of movies showing at St. Louis movie theaters in July, they include The Forgiven, Downton Abbey, Top Gun: Maverick; Jurassic World-Dominion; Elvis, Mr. Malcolm’s List and more. https://www.landmarktheatres.com/st-louis/plaza-frontenac-cinemahttps://www.amctheatres.com/; https://www.marcustheatres.com/; https://www.galleria6cinemas.com/showtimes; https://www.stlouiscinemas.com/
Do consider these indoor activities on our hottest St. Louis days. And as the pandemic continues, we recommend you wear a mask to these indoor activities. Have fun and stay as cool as possible!
- Keeping Seniors Independent As We Celebrate Independence Day 2022! - July 2, 2022
- Eight (8) Cool Indoor Things for St. Louis Caregivers and Seniors to Do When It Is Hot Outdoors - July 1, 2022
- Nine (9) Tips to Keep Seniors and Caregivers Safe this Summer from the New Variant of COVID-19 - June 6, 2022