StaffLink is a provider of Consumer Directed Services (CDS) to clients in the St. Louis region. Under CDS the client is called a “consumer”. In the CDS program, the consumer, is legally the employer of the caregiver. The caregiver is commonly called the Personal Care Assistant (PCA) under the CDS program.
What many consumers appear to like about this program is it that it allows the consumer can hire family members.
StaffLink instructs the consumer that their individual needs take priority over the selected caregiver. And when selecting a caregiver, remember the BEST predictor of future behavior is PAST behavior. Do not hire family members just to help them out.
Under this model, StaffLink CDS Inc. provides training to the consumer regarding how to manage their employee relationship with their PCA. StaffLink CDS, Inc. also provides the required background screening and payroll services for the consumers selected caregiver. Payroll services include making sure required taxes are paid in compliance with the law.
The consumer might consider the Consumer Directed Services (CDS) under the Missouri Medicaid umbrella if they meet the following qualifications:
- They have a physical disability
- They are receiving or are eligible for Medicaid
- They are a least 18 years old
- They live in independently
- They are able and willing to recruit, hire and manage their own Personal Care Assistant (PCA)
- They are capable of directing their services and managing their caregiver
Here are the limitations regarding who the consumer can choose to hire:
- The caregiver must be at least 18 years old
- The caregiver must have a totally clean criminal record (no exceptions!)
- The caregiver cannot be the spouse of a consumer.
Here are the daily caregiving task that a PCA can be assigned:
- They can assist with bathing/showering
- They can assist with toileting
- They can prepare meals and do clean-up related to this task
- They can assist with medication assistance
- They can do housekeeping/laundry
- They can provide essential transportation
Some consumers like being the “employer”, others are very uncomfortable in that role. This is especially true when it comes to having to fire a caregiver that is not working out, especially when the caregiver is family member.
StaffLink CDS, Inc. has additional responsibilities to ensure CDS service delivery and payment to CDS caregivers is in compliance with all state and federal rules, regulations and laws. StaffLink has an obligation to report suspected incidents of non-compliance, deception or fraud to state or federal authorities.
- Eight (8) Home Care Trends for 2024 - February 22, 2024
- StaffLink is Hiring Male and Female Caregivers for Home Care Clients in the St. Louis Region - September 20, 2023
- Thirteen (13) Tips for Family Caregivers and Seniors on How to Stay Healthy, Fit, and in Shape in the Summer Heat and Sun - July 26, 2023